Sunday 18 August 2013

About a year ago, I was a house-hunter. It was September, new fresh arrivals of UWE and Bristol University were also house-hunting at the same time. Anybody who's been in my shoes will agree that house-hunting is an absolute nightmare. Mostly because you never have a stable place to stay while house-hunting and the simple thought of it stresses. But I was lucky. Some friends of friends offered to host me for a couple of nights, without even knowing my name or seeing my face. Totally uninterested help, which I am very grateful for. So, I basically found myself jumping from couch to couch for more than a week during the hunting period.

Not everybody is as lucky as me. Some people are sharp enough to send couchsurfer requests on the Couch Surfing website. And if they are not lucky, they don't have any other option rather than paying for a bed in a hostel until their definitive place is available. Either way, I can assure that it is not a very comfortable to wander around with one huge suitcase and a handbag.

I knew my priorities, I knew how I wanted my flat to be like. First requirement: I wanted a flat very close to the city centre. Previously, I was living in Horfield and I felt like I was not living in Bristol. It was too far away, and life is too calm there. I also needed it to have good public transport connections, one/two bedrooms, furnished (I couldn't afford to furnish it myself), if possible with a washing machine... all of that within my budget!

My prior contract finished in August, and leaving everything I owned in a Yellow Box (Self Storage Company), I took some days off and went back home. I arranged some viewings before I arrived back to the city, through the telephone, paying very expensive (and long) international calls. Nobody rents a flat without seeing you face-to-face and making sure you have a job or a feasible way to pay at least 6 months. Estate agents know that if it is not yourself, someone else will rent that flat. The demand is bigger than the offer in September, it's peak hunting season, and landlords are never worried: their flat will surely have a tenant.

I had 3-4 viewings arranged beforehand and I arranged a couple more when I visited some agencies. I walked the city from one corner to another, from agency to agency. I also contacted some landlords in Gumtree website but I didn't get any reply. The more flats I visited, the less I liked them. My day finished as it started: I still didn't have anywhere to live. 

I might had been too optimistic. I thought six viewings were enough to choose one among them. The first one had more people interested who paid the deposit before I took any decision. In the second one, I didn't like the landlord. Yes, I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions at first sight, but he didn't look very trustworthy to me. In short, I didn't find my future flat. Each flat viewed had a least one inconvenience.

I went to "my couch" and suddenly, I started to cry. I surprised myself. I was not sad nor disappointed, but the anxiety of getting a flat overwhelmed me that day. Instead of closing the subject, I switched on my computer and started searching for flats again. And that's when I found mine.

There is not an optimum way to find a flat. You can be more or less lucky. The most important advice is "Do Not Panic!". Eventually, you will find your flat.

The Telegraph published an article sharing tips for finding the perfect home and National Student Union created a downloadable YES/NO checklist for house-hunters. Their advice is "do not rush into any decision", however, I slightly disagree. If you view a house that covers most of your expectations, take it before it runs away!

For further help and tips, read my Top-10 House-Hunting Rules
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Sunday, August 18, 2013 5 comments

5 comments:

  1. if any landlords is thinking about to rent their apartment so they have to take some positive step which will go them to the right side, letting out your property only to students that have been recommended by their colleges is a good way to start.



    Student accommodation close to Hallam University | Cheapest student accommodation in Sheffield

    ReplyDelete
  2. A flat very close to the city center. Previously and life is too calm there. I also needed it to have good public transport connections, one/two bedrooms, furnished.................

    Kingsmill Studios | Closest student accommodation to Huddersfield University

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for your comment!
      It is not clear in your message if you NEED a flat or you HAVE a flat to rent... could you clarify that for our readers? ;)

      Delete
  3. such a great article and information such great apartment to live with clam.
    thank you for providing such a great and useful information.
    Student accommodation close to Hallam University | Cheapest student accommodation in Sheffield

    ReplyDelete
  4. When there is a matter of travel the first and foremost thing that makes everyone worried is the accommodation. During the trip most suggestible place of stay is to go for furnished or serviced apartment.


    Student accommodation in Huddersfield | Student accommodation close to Huddersfield University

    ReplyDelete

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate