Saturday 11 January 2014

Ever since I can remember, we had an artificial Christmas tree at our place. My mom made sure we were aware of how environmentally unfriendly it was to cut a tree just to for a few days, and then to throw it to the garbage. It was just my aunt the only one I know who used to get real trees, and that happened very long long time ago, perhaps before my mom's convincing power was as strong as it is right now. Basically, everybody has a "fake" Christmas tree which is re-used year after year.

I have only learnt the inconveniences of having a real tree: it is a business of growing and killing trees massively just for fun, just for a very short period of time. The good side of having a real Christmas tree was unknown for my until this last Christmas. Apparently, the intoxicating smell of a Christmas tree is wonderful. It might be true...

I expected England, a country so concerned about the environment as it is, to be the same as it is in my country. To my surprise, weeks before Christmas, there were selling evergreen conifers in every corner. But... what happens with those trees after Christmas? Let me show you a picture:

Most of them are impossible to replant as roots had been cut. In the last couple of days, I found trees in several places of the city, lying next to the garbage bins, and I felt really disappointed. Disappointed of a city always proud of being the European Green Capital 2015. Especially because those trees could be taking part in the Christmas Tree Forest a Czech artist created in Lloyds amphitheatre. The project simulates a small forest and "the process of creating that forest is an activity that everyone can take part", as curator Marcela Strakova explained to Bristol PostThe project will remain at the amphitheatre for a month. When the exhibition finishes, as most trees will be unable to be replanted, they will be chipped and residents will be invited to take a bag of chippings for their gardens. 

Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Saturday, January 11, 2014 1 comment

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing in favor of me to have a web page, which is valuable designed for myy experience.
    thanks admin

    My webpage - Curtis Debord

    ReplyDelete

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate