Wednesday 9 April 2014

A bagel is a bread product, traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, roughly hand-sized, which is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked. The result is a dense, chewy, doughy interior with a browned and sometimes crisp exterior, often topped with seeds.

The bagel is becoming a popular bread product in the United Kingdom where the bagel is prepared in many different ways. The Bagel Boy in Bristol, located in 39-41 St Nicholas Street (BS1 1TP), is the place where I had the tastiest and most original bagels so far. A friend recommended it to me, who said they were the greatest bagels ever. First, I must say that I thought bagels, no matter how you put inside, would always just taste as bagels. However, my opinion completely changed after I gave the Bagel Boy a chance.

The outlet is bigger than I thought and there are many wooden tables in different sizes, perfect to have a quick lunch by yourself or to enjoy a nice dinner with a group of friends. I went at 1pm on a Friday and there were many tables free where I could choose from. However, when I left half an hour later, there were many people waiting for me to leave and take my table. A busy place must mean there is something really good going on there.

I took some time to go through the menu (here). They have loads of different bagels divided into three groups: Classics, Supremes and Patties. Prices vary from £4 to £6 per bagel. They also have sides such as fries, sweet potato wedges and chili beans (£2.50 each) and salads (£4.50). There are also very interesting deals: the lunch deal includes a classic bagel, a soft drink or coffee and a side for £5 (everyday from 11am to 3pm) and the whole kaboodle deal includes any bagel, a side and a Samuel Adams lager for £10 (everyday from 11am to 11pm) . And all ingredients come from local suppliers!

I ordered a Naughty Bagel which has chicken breast, bacon, cheddar cheese and BBQ sauce and some sweet potato wedges (£7.5). The waitress brought the lunch to my table within 10 minutes and a few minutes later I could realize why the place is always so busy: the ingredients are obviously good, they are very well cooked and the combination of flavours is amazing!

Overall, it is a very welcoming place in the city centre where you could celebrate your birthday in a very original manner, always with exceptional food. Very recommendable!


BAGEL BOY WEBSITE: http://www.bagelboy.co.uk/index.html
WIKIPEDIA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Wednesday, April 09, 2014 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate