Monday 28 April 2014

European Parliament elections coming in May, the only thing I could hear here in the UK is "Europe yes!" or "Europe no!". There is an internal battle whether belonging to Europe brings any benefit to the British or not. I am not originally from the UK, I am living in Bristol just for my studies so I would bite off more more than I can chew if I give my opinion in this matter. At the end of the day, this debate is none of my business.

However, I am very into politics and I have been in the debate that took place in the Great Hall in Wills Memorial Building this evening. The European Parliament election is scheduled to take place on 22nd May 2014 and University of Bristol managed to sit around the same table the first candidates from each of the five most voted parties in 2009 in the South West: Conservatives, Green, Labour, Liberal and UKIP parties.

Doors were open at 5.40pm and at sharp 6pm, the 2-hour long debate started. The debate was chaired by Professor Malcolm Evans and the table was composed by Ashley Fox (Conservatives), William Dartmouth (UKIP), Sir Graham Watson (Liberals), Claire Moody (Labour) and Molly Cato (Green).

The three main topics discussed at the debate were chosen by around 500 voters who took part in a two-week consultation within the University of Bristol: 

1. Free movement of people
2. Role of the UK in the EU and the division of competences
3. Economic affairs in the EU and austerity

We were allowed to ask questions on these three topics (not only people present at the debate but also via Twitter with the hashtag #EPH14) although nobody really asked anything related to the three main topics. It had been a very funny and entertaining debate where the audience engaged, applaused, laughed and surprised with some of the comments candidates made. 

For those who haven't made up their mind yet on who to vote, specially students, this has been a very good opportunity to listen to the main candidates and decide who convinces you the most. At least me, if I had to vote in Britain for the European Parliament Elections, I already know who I wouldn't vote for: neither for the one who said that they won't care whether young people don't vote, or who said that you can also study abroad with no need of Erasmus grands. Guys, really? You are on an event organised by a university!!

Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Monday, April 28, 2014 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate