Friday 23 May 2014

Just a couple of minutes ago, I was coming back from the city centre when some young guys who were begging or just hanging out in a tunnel-pass at the Bearpit asked me to smile. I don't really like when people I don't know asks me to smile, neither people I know. Why could I smile if a couple of metres before a wall reminded myself how screwed up the world is.

"There are 4.1 million homeless people and 11 million empty houses in Europe"
(Photos taken 23rd May 2014)

Over a year ago, I read in one Spanish newspaper the first case of a woman who killed himself because she couldn't afford living anymore. The bank would take her out of her house because she wouldn't pay her morgage; she was unemployed, her husband left her and she had some children's mouth to feed. It was not the first and last case. Sadly, week after week, I have read many similar cases.
For years, many people were living above their limits, buying stuff they couldn't afford, the banks gave money to people who wouldn't be able to pay off... Then, the crisis knocked the door of most families. Those who were lucky enough to keep their jobs, they had under very crappy condition; those who weren't as lucky, lost their jobs, running away this world as fast as they could and leaving to their beloved family a legacy of debts and owings.

This is sadly what the exhibition at the Bearpit Outdoor Gallery reminded me of. I am sure this is the impression the artists wanted to get from people. And then, some idiots asked me to smile. Here is my smile, then.

"The writing on the Wall"
Photographs of Europe's Hidden Spaces
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Friday, May 23, 2014 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate