Thursday 19 February 2015

Wicked will be the third (but not the last) musical I will be watching at the Hippodrome. I have previously seen The Lion King, which was the best musical I have seen, and Cats, which I strongly recommend if you like Andrew Lloyd Webber's music. This time, as I barely know anything about musical beforehand, I had to do some research.

Wicked: the Untold Story of the Witches of Oz, a music that is celebrating its 12 years on Broadway, has won 90 international awards, broken records at the London's Apollo Victoria Theatre and will be in Bristol until the 21st March.

Based on Gregory Maguire's novel, it is the alternative telling of the classic 1900 story The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Stephen Schwartz, who wrote  the music and lyrics of the musical, learned of Wicked while he was on holiday in Hawaii. While he was enjoying a boat ride, a passenger mentioned she was reading the novel and Stephen loved it, seeing a possibility to compose some music and convert it into a musical.

The story tells the perspective of two witches of the Land of Oz, Elphaba and Glinda, who struggle through opposing personalities and viewpoints. It starts before Dorothy's arrival and continuing after, showing the rivalry of these two witches over the same love-interest and their reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government.

My tickets are for the 2nd March so I will post a short review after that they for you to read. I bought the tickets some time ago and got the cheapest price possible (£20 plus £4 transaction fees). However, I have just checked the website for the night I am going and there are still some cheap tickets available if you aren't too picky with the seats (£25 or £32, buy tickets here). Join me, I'm sure it will be wicked! ;)
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Thursday, February 19, 2015 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate